Hygiene in Catheter Care
Maintaining good hygiene is essential in catheter care to help prevent infection.
Good Hygiene Habits
- Ensure that you wash your hands with soap and water before and after handling your catheter, urine drainage bag or catheter valve
- Wash the area where your catheter enters the body with mild unperfumed soap and warm water at least once a day
- Avoid unnecessary disconnection of the leg bag and do not touch the connector when replacing. This will help to prevent infection
- If a family member or carer are assisting you ensure they wash their hands before and after providing care. National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) suggest that healthcare professionals should wear gloves
- Use a fixation device to secure the catheter and prevent pulling and use a night bag stand overnight
Hand Washing Steps
Your catheter will need changing on a regular basis, speak to a healthcare professional to understand the routine that’s right for you.